Thursday, March 24, 2011

So long, CSA

This week I got the "last call" notice for the CSA we'd participated in for the last three years. It made me so sad that I'm not signed up this year. But, it's just not practical. It was hard enough keeping up with the share with two people, cooking for one with a box of veggies that big is just asking for major waste. This is especially true because I still haven't overcome my fear that I will kill myself if I try canning. I know it's possible to do half shares, but while a big part of me will miss it, I'm actually a little bit excited to be share-free for a season. Having the share got me to explore different veggies and be creative about cooking, but now that I've expanded my range and sense of adventure, I can explore all on my own. I rarely hit up farmers' markets because I was already swimming in veggies and I was often away on weekends. Now I'll have to get a bit more savvy about mid-week markets and will have the freedom to pick up what inspires me at the moment. And, with any luck, I'll have some of my own bounty to work with...that is if I ever get my butt in gear and focus on getting seedlings started.

4 comments:

  1. Looks like we're both greeting a new season feeling both lighter and heavier. I hope you're doing ok, focusing on what's ahead - happiness, new adventures, and a little self reflection. Keep on keeping on. You'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When the husband 1st signed up for a CSA, I saw it as a way to 'force' myself to eat more veggies. But now I try to allot an amount I'd have spent on a CSA for goodies for local produce, or at the very least, for something I wouldn't normally get.

    Either way, I'm sure you'll be set, dude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Silvia, lighter and heavier is a perfect way to describe it, but I'm at peace and looking forward to my new challenges. Albany Jane, I love the idea of a "something new" reserve - totally going to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I'm back to work, we can meet up at the Wednesday farmer's market. It can be hit or miss, but there is always good bread as a consolation prize. :)

    ReplyDelete