Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Burnin' down the house...

A while back I bought a roast at Ryan's Farmer's Market. They're now stocking reasonably-priced grass fed beef and I thought I'd give it a try. I took it out of the freezer with plans to cook it this weekend, and just never did. It's now Tuesday and I am facing letting my still not cheap piece of meat go bad. I have a thing with that - it doesn't matter how long a food product can actually sit, once I get it in my head it's even a moment too long, I can't bring myself to touch it.

So, I came home from work exhausted after a long day and a poor night's sleep to face the roast and it was pushing 7 when I crossed the threshold. Sigh. Still, I felt I had no choice. A quick sear in the cast iron pan while the oven was preheating, a simple rub of salt and pepper and a bed of onions, garlic and a sprinkle of parsley on top and I was good to go.

Then I made myself a turkey sandwich for dinner. No way I can wait for that roast!

Here's hoping I can keep my eyes open for the next few hours and not end up with a charred mess, or worse. What a single girl is going to do with six pounds of beef is a problem for another day...

No comments:

Post a Comment