Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Desperately Seeking: Carne Asada

On a few evenings this August, we took our track winnings and headed to Cantina in Saratoga for some tasty dinner.  Ok, some of us went to drown our losses in tequila, but you get the idea.  Over the past few years, I've learned to develop a taste for "real" Mexican food.  While it's tough to come by around here, I've rarely been disappointed with a meal at Cantina.  My dining companion was thrilled by his discovery of this gem and was especially taken with their carne asada.  Now obsessed, he's been on the lookout for a pre-made carne asada marinade and has been unable to find one.

Frankly, I think this is a good thing because I'm guessing I can do better than some bottled, processed junk.  Maybe I'm being immodest, but I'm guessing some fresh ingridients and a little help from Penzey's will be a much better way to go.  I've been doing some research and think I can come up with a decent mix of dried spices that can be added to liquid/acid along with, maybe, some fresh ingredients like cilantro, onion and garlic.  I am, however, hoping to perfect "easy" and be able to say "here, throw a few tablespoons of this in with lime juice and you're good to go."

I've done some research and have my ideas, but as there is no "official" recipie, I thought I'd throw it to my loyal following to see if there are any good tips to be had.  I'll be sure to share details of my quest for the perfect spice blend as it moves forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment