Tuesday, June 7, 2011

mmmm, pie!

Sometimes, it’s the simple pleasures that are the best. I love pie for breakfast. I mean, I love pie any time and would often choose it over cake any day of the week, but there is something spectacular about pie for breakfast. I’m sure I’ve confessed to this here before. Typically, pie for breakfast is a holiday thing – I’ll have it for a day or two after Thanksgiving or Christmas when my Mom bakes enough pies to sink an army. Trust me, with my stepfather and two teenaged brothers measuring in at 6’4” and 6’7’ I’m not employing a lot of hyperbole here. You can imagine how much pie she has to make for there to be leftovers.

I went to the Troy Farmer’s Market on Saturday with an old friend and as we wandered by the pie vendor, I paused. They had small pies for sale and a rhubarb one jumped out at me. But I wanted STRAWBERRY rhubarb and of course they only had it in the normal pie size. As I pondered the purchase, the sweet gentleman behind the counter explained to me that I could cut off a chunk and freeze it. It was then that I realized, who am I kidding? I can eat a whole pie. That’s not to say that I should eat a whole pie, but lord knows I can. Metabolism don’t fail me now.

So pie for breakfast it is, a few days running now. It’s great, I pack up a slice in foil and march off to work. You know, like old Welsh miners did back in the day, but a 21st century, kinda yuppie version. I don’t feel the least bit guilty and it’s not like this is an everyday occurrence. I just really wanted a strawberry rhubarb pie, it’s late spring and you’ve got to get while the gettin’ is good. No, I didn’t make it myself and I’m ok with that. Full confession here – I can make a mean crumble top, but I can’t tell you the last time I made my own crust. It’s something I’d like to work on, but now is not the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment