Sunday, June 26, 2011

To market I go

Determined to prepare my own food again after a long few weeks completely estranged from my kitchen, I bounded off to the Schenectady Greenmarket this morning.  I'd hoped for a fairly quick trip but some ex-pass apparently had other plans as exit 24 turned into a giant parking lot.  I was in good spirits for first fifteen minutes or so, hanging out with the windows down and the radio up.  The old dude in the white chevy next to me might not have enjoyed the wait as much as I did, but I'm sorry, if you can't appreciate a little White Album on a Sunday morning, well then I just don't have much use for you.  I did start to get a little fidgety when I realized that no ex-pass lanes were open and my side of the exit had 3 available lanes to the other side's 9.  It took me a solid hour to get to the market and as a result I spent much less time actually there than it took me to get there, but that's ok.



In my quick run through the market, I grabbed all sorts of exciting bounty.  Without my CSA I haven't had any garlic scapes yet this season, so I was excited to see them still in abundance.  I picked up some chard to experiment with before I cut down my own and I was thrilled to see great big zucchini already available.  Radishes and wild arugula rounded out my shopping bag.  Not the most coherent shopping day, but that's not altogether unusual for me.
 
I'm not sure what I'm going to do with my bag o'veggies, I plan to brainstorm while I'm putzing around cleaning the kitchen - a critical first step before starting any cooking.  But alas, despite my grand plans, I've already made plans for the evening that will take me away from the kitchen.  It's the thought that counts, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment