Monday, July 5, 2010

Farmshare Frittata

A great trick for using up CSA veggies - and one I blatantly stole from a friend - is a veggie frittata. I very much enjoy the challenge of assessing what I have in the house and coming up with something tasty. I never manage to make the same dish twice, but I've certainly learned how to closely replicate favorites. This morning I decided to make my first frittata of the season. I had some zucchini and spinach left from this week's share, as well as some mozzarella and tomato (purchased to compliment my basil harvest). While my favorite frittata compliment is goat cheese, some nice fresh mozz wasn't too shabby. I went for an earthy, rustic flavor - helped along by oregano and rosemary from my garden.

The how to, you ask? I start with a good, shallow sauce pan (ahh...all-clad) that will both work on the stovetop and in the oven. With the oven preheating, I coat the pan in olive oil, saute onion, garlic, then whatever veggies I'm using. Today I started the zucchini first then threw the spinach in right before the egg. Be careful with tomato, the liquid can cause your eggs to not set properly. I typically just slice tomatoes and float them on top when the egg is almost set. I whipped up four eggs, a splash of milk, salt, pepper and a good tablespoon or so of finely chopped oregano and rosemary.

Drop the pan to medium heat and dump the eggs over the veggies and allow to cook most of the way. Don't mess with it too much!

You can run a knife around the edge to loosen but it's best to just leave it alone. When it's close to set - especially around the edges - I pop the whole pan into the oven (350, 400 ish) to finish...about 10 min but each time seems different. Just watch for the eggs to set. If I'm really feeling ambitious (I was today) I quickly finish it off with a visit to the broiler to crust up the top a bit.

See, there's a reason I don't really write recipes here - I don't use them. I peek at some to get a basic idea of what to do, and then experiment.
Once you have the basic concept down, it's so easy to be creative with frittatas. And they make a fantastic holiday brunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment