Thursday, November 11, 2010

Tales from the Drought

I've been awful lately. Not cooking. Not writing. Certainly not writing about cooking. Heck, I couldn't even manage to write about not cooking. Ah well. I've recently been re-inspired on a few fronts and I have a nice backlog of fun ditties to share with you all. Many are connected to a recent anniversary of my 30th birthday. The first is the lovely box I came home to find on my step today.

My dear friend from the South and I have a fantastic tradition. See, we quite literally became friends because of food. Through the misery of the first year of law school, we bonded over our mutual love of eating and cooking. We dined out way through Central Ohio and now I have a friend for life. I'm not sure how it started, but we exchange foodie gifts for our birthdays. It was she who first taught me that you could ship ice cream. (I'd been at my job for less than two months and I squealed like
a child when a box of Jeni's arrived at my office ... my colleagues must have thought I was a total nutter!). I returned the favor and introduced her to Penzey's. The tradition has become great sport, it's just as fun seeking out a new, fun treat to send as it is to receive one.

So back to today. It's been a long week, and I dragged my sorry butt home to discover a box from the Salem Baking Co. in North Carolina containing all these goodies! (yeah, wonder pup thinks he's getting in on the fun, but he will be sorely disappointed) Caramel cookies with fleur de sal, dipped in chocolate and topped with toffee. Are you kidding me?? Best part is each cookie is individually-wrapped so they stay fresh if you crazy and want to let them sit around the house. I've also already done some serious damage to the gorgonzola cheese straws. Yum.

3 comments: