Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Gnocchi!

I first had gnocchi on a trip to Italy well over ten years ago. (how on earth is that possible...feels like yesterday)  Instantly I knew I was in love.  When done right, there is really nothing better that those little pillows of potatoey goodness.  Back in the States, it's not something I have often - when I'm out I'm picky and always think "Oh, I can make this myself" and when I'm home I almost never make it and when I do it's often not quite what I was hoping for.

I picked up a package at my recent trip to Ragonese Imports and gave it a whirl the other night.  I had a friend in school who swore it was easy to make from scratch, but who has time for that?  I haven't been cooking a lot lately between my kitchen drama, the heat and the fact that I'm just busy enjoying all that is wonderful about Summer, but the other night I did whip up this quick dish and it reminded me how easy it is to prepare good food quickly.  I feel like I say that a lot here, but it's true and it's sadly something I often forget.

I just made a very quick sauce with olive oil, my leftover garlic scapes, a can of tomatoes, salt and pepper.  And basil from the garden - can't forget the piles of fresh basil.  Makes all the difference.  Start to finish I think this took me ten, maybe fifteen minutes and I had two meals for, oh, $6 total.

No comments:

Post a Comment