Monday, April 19, 2010

A good team


We decided to have fish (with soba noodles and the remainder of my bok choy) last night, but our fatal mistake was allowing me to pick up the fish while out running errands. I am the first to admit I'm less than comfortable with sea-dwellers in my kitchen. I mean I can broil a decent salmon and I do make some mean scallops, but other than that, I'm typically at a loss. Which is why I leave the fish to Western One. Most often, our fish meal is his fantastic sesame-encrusted tuna, medium rare with some appropriate side dishes (typically bok choy and soba noodles, surprise, surprise).

My errands took me to BJs (no tuna), the asian market (also no tuna and although I thought about venturing into red snapper, or something else, I decided I just wasn't up to dealing with a whole fish.) Ok, I have no idea what to do with a whole fish. I haven't handled such a thing since the six inch brook trout my dad and I grilled when I was 9. Anyway, by the time I got to the Westgate Price Chopper I was overwhelmed and fish fati
gued. I didn't like the tuna there so I ended up with haddock that we panko breaded. Underwhelming.

But, all is not lost. Tonight we tried the panko again, this time better seasoned and on pork. A little time under the broiler after a quick sear and a slow bake and it was perfect. I take no credit for this - 'twas all my guy. I was responsible for the veg, and I have to say I did a damn good job. Zucchini, chayote (one of my favorite latin staples, purchased at the asian market...how's that for diverse?) and jalapenos roasted, with salt, pepper and chili power - then added tomato and cilantro about 10 min before dinner time. I have to say, with all modesty, it was one of the best meals we've had in a month - including our too many meals out. So, not necessarily the greatest for local and self-grown, but pretty good for fresh, reasonably healthy, cheap and good. I'll take that for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment