Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Still in love


I had my second "date" with the local asian supermarket tonight. I wandered up to the door with a little apprehension - would this visit be as filled with wonder as the first? Was my first experience just a mirage? Nope. I didn't really go in with a plan, and didn't check out the operating hours on my way in, so I just focused on a produce drive-by when I realized the store was nearly empty. I grabbed this eclectic bunch of stuff - a big bag of baby bok choy, 9 mandarin oranges, 2 grapefruit and a bunch of fresh cilantro - for, wait for it.... $5.07. I made myself a quick evening snack of sauteed bok choy (with plenty left over for a side dish later in the week). At least two breakfasts, a snack or two, and of course, cilantro cubes (for $0.75!). Not a bad deal.

I'm excited to go back with a better plan, especially to play around with some of the other greens - there must be over a dozen varieties. I keep grabbing bok choy because that's my comfort zone. When I think about it, that's pretty cool in and of itself...I don't think I'd even touched the stuff five years ago. And then there's the fish counter...

No comments:

Post a Comment