Monday, May 2, 2011

Ramping up dinner

Tee hee hee ... bad, I know.

Tonight I am trying my first attempt at ramps. As far as I know, I've only had them once before at a restaurant, but I was intrigued, and then saddened to learn how brief the season is. I just never got around to buying any last spring. I grabbed some at the Troy Farmers' Market this past week on my way to see Tern Rounders and others play a great little outdoor acoustic event. (That was for you JK!)

You can saute the bulbs like garlic or onion and then use the greens. I did both for this particular dish, but only used a few bulbs as I was unsure of how pungent they are. Olive oil, ramps and tomato, tossed in angel hair - this meal quite literally took me 10 minutes to prepare and I was drafting this post while cooking.

All in all, it was a good dish - light, simple, yet with a nice twist of something special. I am glad I didn't use all the bulbs for a single portion, but maybe I could have used one or two more.

I think ramps, like garlic scapes, will be one of those early season treats I look forward to each year.

1 comment: