Monday, May 30, 2011

I need strong booze

The word "Everclear" is enough to send chills down my spine. Not only is it because of the band that should have just stopped at the one-hit, but more terrifyingly, it brings back images of 'jungle juice', 'punch' and every other disgusting, stupor-inducing mixture frat boys can come up with. Shudder.

I'm not sure if I've discussed my love for Imbibe magazine here yet. Probably, because I do love it. Anyway... I was sitting up at the lake, hiding from the rain and reading Imbibe when I discovered a recipe for rhubarb bitters. How cool! And - problem solved!

Making homemade bitters, however, requires grain alcohol, like Everclear. Searching back through the haze of Freshman year, I recall the aforementioned frat boys taking trips to other states to buy Everclear because you couldn't get it here. I have to be honest, I've never, ever sought the stuff out, so I'm not certain if this little adventure is going to require some cross border action or not. I can say that I might be a little embarrassed asking for grain alcohol at 30-something.


2 comments:

  1. I've never had it when it wasn't delivered to the table already set on fire in the middle of a tropical drink so I can't vouch for taste, but Bacardi 151 isn't that much weaker that grain. Pretty sure I have seen it on the shelves locally. Could be wrong though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's a good idea. It's funny, I was just discussing this with my uncle and he pointed out bitters are often made with rum. Might be worth a shot!

    ReplyDelete