Thursday, August 19, 2010

Saucy!

It's clearly sauce time! To say we received an abundance of tomatoes from our CSA yesterday would be a gross understatement. Add that to my plants and we were drowning in tomatoes. Some of them were already a tad soft and the idea of wasting a single one was more than I could stand, so at 9:30 last night I decided to make sauce. I'm not totally nuts, I didn't make the simmer all day, deep, rich sauce (although that's coming...) but instead opted for a quick, bright and simple version.

Farmeshare onion, garlic, basil from my garden, salt, pepper, olive oil and the tomatoes. That's it. Oh, and a touch of a cornstarch slurry to thicken it up a tad. It maybe took me an hour, including peeling the tomatoes, and the last half of that just involved stirring. I dumped the sauce into a container, went to bed, and had dinner halfway done for tonight. Would someone please remind me of this next time I'm whining about not having time for real food?

No comments:

Post a Comment