Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Bed beat beets

We got beets in last week's CSA box and thankfully they haven't started to soften up on me yet. I just haven't been able to bring myself to have the oven on long enough to roast them this week. I could make an entire meal out of roasted beets and goat cheese.

Just a few minutes ago, while showering off dog park dust I got the bright idea that I should pickle the beets tonight before they go bad. It's pushing eight o'clock and I have to meet my boss at the office by 6:30 am for a road trip. Under no circumstances should I be pickling beets tonight. (I am not one of those people who function with no sleep). I went as far as to start researching recipes when good sense kicked in and I decided a little cleaning, then netflix in bed was a better idea.

I probably won't get to the beets for another day or two, due to the road trip and all, unless I can convince Western One to jump in. This gives me time to solicit some favorite beet ideas from you fine folks and cross my fingers the little guys hang on...

3 comments:

  1. I love to roast them, which means turning the oven on in this ridiculous heat. I trim the tops off, wrap them individually in foil and toss them on a baking sheet in the oven at 400 degrees. Roast them for about 40 minutes, let them cool and then slide the foil and skins right off. Cut them into chunks, toss with a tiny bit of olive oil (or walnut, if you have some), Gorgonzola and chopped walnuts. Eat lots of them and prepare to pee purple! I love beets!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cold Beet and Yogurt Summer Soup - French Women Don't Get Fat recipe. Thanks for the beet reminder--I've got some from the farmer's market that need to be cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmmm cold beets. DelSo, I'm with you re: the roasting, but until it's no longer 90, I just can't bring myself to do it. Here's hoping for another batch of beets in a cooler week!

    ReplyDelete