Monday, June 27, 2011

Using the arugula

On my drive home today I was pondering what to do with the arugula I picked up yesterday at the farmers' market as I knew I was racing against time to avoid a wilted mess.  The mental inventory of my fridge and pantry was depressing, and then I realized I'd be home early enough to hit up my local Italian import store - Ragonese.  Visions of cured meat and mozzarella danced in my head and I had my answer.  I only had to resist just buying a hunk of eggplant parm and calling it a night.

Ragonese is a local gem, one which I don't frequent enough, especially considering it's right around the corner from my house.  For some reason, I had it in my head they closed at 6pm and I was pleased to see that they are indeed open until 7, affording me much more opportunity to visit.  My wallet and waistline might not be happy with this revelation, but my taste buds sure are.

I envisioned a big sandwich, and grabbed some sweet sopressata, prosciutto and mozzarella.  Unfortunately, however, they didn't have any good sandwich rolls, just Freihoffer's bread - which certainly wouldn't cut it.  I toyed with swinging by the local bakery but I had Wonderpup in the car with me and I was already feeling guilty for my very quick run into one store.

So sandwich morphed into salad, which is probably better anyway.  I mixed the already wilty arugula with some lettuce freshly picked from my garden, threw the meat and cheese on top and whipped up a quick balsamic vinaigrette.  Presto, dinner was done.  I'm not going to say it was healthy, per se, but boy was it yummy.  Maybe next time I'll even add some vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment